Thursday, January 19, 2006

2005 Year in Review

Happy New Year!

My big news for 2006 is that I am moving! Yes, it was less then a year ago that I moved to the New York area, but now IBM is moving me to Boston.

2005 was a spectacular year, with many great trips and stories.

I had an amazing drive cross country with Vinny, taking me from California to New York, via exciting places like the Grand Canyon, New Orleans, and the Smokey Mountain National Park, along with random sites like the gravesite of Billy the Kid and a big crater. Move Blog

Once in New York, I settled into the new apartment (which reminded me of my college dorm building), and explored the Hudson River Towns, with bike rides, walks along the Croton Aqueduct Trail, and train adventures into the city to see museums, parks, and friends.

In the spring, I made many trips back to California, for Ally's baby shower, Stephanie's wedding, Olivia's birth, and Mel and Mom's surgeries. The big adventure was the Wildflower Triathlon with Lora and Cat. This was an amazing race, with beautiful wildflowers and just a good adventure. I always had confidence that I could complete it, but it was still very nice to run across the finish line.

Memorial weekend I headed back to Princeton for my 9th reunion with my good friends Phoebe, Charleton, and their daughter Natalie - who were celebrating their 10th reunion. This was good practice for me, seeing as I will be in charge of Food and Beverages at my 10th reunion. Memorial Monday, I went to a cool Memorial Day event honoring my great grandfather Kenneth Whiting, who died during WWII, at his hometown high school, in Larchmont, NY. I got to see his memorial stone in his church and home site. It was a nice piece of history. Pictures from the weekend are here: Memorial Pictures

During the summer, there were no trips to California, but many around the region, as I joined the RedRum co-ed ultimate team, and went to tournaments in Albany, Boston, Cape Code, Connecticut Beach, and Rhode Island. It was wonderful to be a part of such a fun and friendly ultimate team again.

My other summer sport was softball, and except for breaking someone’s hand, it was great fun. I also participated in the NY tradition of going to a Yankees game!

My one stateside summer trip, was to Chicago, visit a college friend Geoff and experiencing the “scene” there and discovering that great city.

In August I went to Peru. I loved hiking in the Andes along the Inca Trail to get to Machu Pichu, it was a beautiful and energizing experience. Peru Blog



During the fall, as I saw the leaves change color, and did “fall activities” like apple picking and Princeton football games, with Kelli and Matt. I went up to Boston for my 31st birthday with Phoebe, and drove back with Vinny as he came to entertain me for a week, at the end of which Aunt Sherry visited.

I flew back to the Bay Area in September for Julia's Baby Shower and to LA in October, for Halloween and to see Tracy's new baby Sage. These were needed breaks from a very wet October in New York. I was back in the Bay Area again for Thanksgiving week, seeing Julia's new baby Caleb, going to Rob and Gail's wedding, and gathering with the whole family for Thanksgiving at Mom's house. It was great to have the Dahlberg, Taylors, and Nisewaners all gathered together.

Once I returned to New York, winter stormed in with a big snow storm the first weekend in December, as I was looking at a place to live in Brookline, and then another big one, just as I flew off to London for a long weekend of fun. Lauren and Jacob were amazing hosts, showing me that popping over to London for a winter weekend is an excellent thing to do.

I headed home for the Christmas holiday weekend and a family gathering at Aunt Sherry’s home, before flying off to Kauai with Megan. Beaches, hiking, helicopter rides - paradise is a wonderful place in the middle of winter.
My Mom and Bob visited in January, just as I finalized my move to Brookline. What an amazing year!

I hope you all also had a great 2005 and that we all have an amazing 2006!