After a week of hanging out with Amanda and Carter after their big move east, my friend Mel from UCLA Law School came out for a week. We had an adventure around the North East.
Friday: Out to the Berkshires
Friday morning we slept in and then after breakfast headed west to the Berkshires. After exiting the freeway we stopped off in Lee for lunch at the CakeWalk, a lovely little shop where you could see the cakes being baked.

We then drove to the Kripalu Center, where we checked into our weekend Yoga retreat. The Center was a lovely set of grounds called Shadowbrook, just next to Tanglewood (both of these were named by Nathanial Hawthorn). It was nice to just enjoy a place where you do not need to think, where 3 healthy meals a day are served, and there are just beautiful areas to enjoy.

The class was lead by Yoga Instructor Seane Corn and the Friday night yoga was more then I had done in a long time. After a healthy yoga workout, I was ready to sleep.
Saturday: Kirapalu
In the morning, after a light breakfast, it was a 3 hour yoga class, with a lot of discussion on how important it is to control what you let into your bodies, both emotionally and physically. I do not know when of have perspired more, so at least anything bad in me was leaving!
In the afternoon, we headed down to the lake, and while it was a bit overcast, it was nice to get wet and swim a bit. Luckily we made it back to our rooms before a major thunderstorm hit.

That night was a yoga chanting concert by Russill Paul - I was amazed at how much fun it was to chant along with him and the drums. Not quite the same as my trip earlier during the week to see Willie Nelson, but still a lot of fun.
Sunday: Heading North
Sunday morning started out with a 2 hour detox yoga workout. It made me feel good, even if I still cannot touch my toes. After lunch we checked out of the center and then drove north to the Adirondacks. What was amazing to me was that the fall colors already here and it is only the second week in September. I think it is going to be an early fall.

We stopped in Plattsburg for the night, I was tired of driving in the rain. We had a great meal at the local yummy Irish Pub and then rested.
Monday: Arrive in Canada
Monday morning we headed to Canada, and as we came to the boarder, I realized, I didn't bring my passport. I thought a license was enough, but it turns out I should have also had my birth certificate. Luckily, the boarder agent was nice and let us enter the country.

Once in Montreal, we dropped our stuff off at our hotel, Hotel Kutuma - a lovely place in the heart of the Plateau district. The man at the desk directed us to L'Express for lunch, and it was a great lunch. The best part was the dessert of Ile Flottante.

Next we headed down to Old Montreal and the Waterfront, exploring the different neighborhoods on the way. It was nice to see the old part of town.
Tuesday: Montreal Exploration

After a good nights sleep we headed out to Mount Royal Park. On the way, we stopped for an awesome breakfast at Chez Jose before heading to the top of the park for a view of all of Montreal. After the park, we walked down through McGill to the Beaux Arts Museum where there was a wonderful exhibit on Emily Carr. I loved many of the paintings and just learning the history of this Canadian artist and her interplay with the First Nations.

That night, Mel and I went to the Kent Nagano directed Montreal Symphony. They did Ravel's L'Enfant et les Sortilèges and Mahler's 1st. Both were very different and yet very good. I have heard the SFS do many of the Mahler symphonies, so it was good to hear one at another venue. After the symphony, we took a cab home in the rain, and went to the local bar for drinks. It was good to gossip with the locals, chat up the Parisian bartender and just hang out. Montreal is a really vibrant and fun city.

Wednesday: Home via Vermont
Wednesday we got up earlier then was good, given the late night, and then started driving home through the Canadian corn fields toward the US Boarder. The US boarder was super easy to cross, with no questions about my lack of passport.

We drove through Vermont. It is amazing to me how green and filled with trees our drive was, since California is just not so undeveloped. We stopped off at Dartmouth, first for me to see my college friend Amy, and then in Norwich to see Mel's friend Julia. Julia has a jewelry shop, and while we were there, I got to make a lovely turquoise and black necklace. It was cool to make my own necklace with the help of her and her kids. She used the shop as a place to train and work with local young mom's, helping them to develop work skills.

After out stop it was back to Boston. It was good to explore the area a bit more and also just rest up before my big trip to Kenya!
More Pictures can be found here: Trip Pictures
